A large body of scientific research has uncovered the fact that positive thinking has many benefits. The trouble is, it’s hard to be positive when we live in such a negative world, and sometimes we’re surrounded by people who only complain and whine. While this article could discuss all of the clinical studies and research delineating how one can live a happy life, here are 5 easy tips that will help you learn to think more positively. Commit to doing these things for just a few minutes each day for one month and it will likely become a habit.
- I am, I can, and I will are positive affirmations which you can utilize every day to increase positive thinking. Every morning, look in the mirror and say to yourself: “I am a _____ (patient Mom, loving wife, creative thinker… whatever you want to increase in your life.” Complete the sentence with your own affirmation.
- If you have a task before you either at home or at work or perhaps you need to lose weight and have found it difficult. Regardless of what the situation is, say to yourself: “I am certain that I will achieve this goal.” “I can and will meet my income goals.” “I am becoming a better friend, daughter, or mother each day.” “I can….”. Complete the sentence with your own affirmation.
- In order to think positively about future goals, say to yourself: “I will become a success.” “I will exercise at least 3 times a week.” “I will be the person I know I can be.” “I will….”. Complete this sentence with your own affirmation.
- Empower yourself each day by first writing down positive affirmations and putting them into a bowl. Each morning, before you prepare for the day, take out one affirmation and repeat it over and over throughout the day.
- Life is not always kind, yet there is much to be grateful for. If you have a roof over your head, 3 meals a day and people to love, you’re better off than many people around the world! Recognize these gifts and be thankful for all you have. It’s a good habit to begin or end (or both!) each day listing on paper or in your mind 3 to 5 things you are grateful for. Did you know that it is impossible to feel sad and grateful at the same time?
Decide today what is most important in your life and use positive words and images to reinforce your belief that you are, you can, and you will. And see what shows up in your life!